Thursday, August 2, 2007

Breakthrough!

Today I did something that was very brave for me...let me just say that upfront. You will probably be shocked at what I am about to say, and I am ok with that. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera to back up my story.

This evening me, Josh, Macie, and my sister Miranda went on a walk to the park. We often walk to parks because they are at the end of the green belt by our house, but we NEVER stay and play. Yes, it's true. I steer clear of child play areas. I think they are disgusting and coated in who knows what. Even the sand/dirt grosses me out. I have a definite fear of germs and don't want Macie touching things and then putting her hands in her mouth. And it's not just about her; I refuse to touch anything as well.

When we got to the park Macie was really into watching what all the kids were doing. She started to venture and I stayed back letting Josh take her into the sandbox to ride the little animals on springs that bounce back and forth. Like I would voluntarily walk into the sand...yeah right! I cringed as she held on to the plastic animal that has been touched by who knows how many others kids with who knows what kinds of germs. However, I let her play and just watched. She went from animal to animal, then over to the slide area. She climed up the stairs, went across the bridges, and went down the slides. It was painful to watch. There was even a train to walk through and when I looked inside I told my sister that she could only go in if she made sure Macie didn't touch anything.

Macie had a great time and I realized while she played that I can count the times on 1 hand that Macie has been to the park to actually play. I do have to say that she was enrolled in Gymboree classes for a while that we went to several days a week. They have lots of toys, slides, climbing equipment, etc., BUT they clean everything daily. I've seen them wipe the toys down and spray everything with disenfectant. The whole park thing I am still getting used to. I did have a lady in my ward tell me that she saw Josh and Macie at the park one day playing around, eating the sand, and all that yucky stuff. I know she can do it and still survive, it's just my germ-o-phobia that I can't handle myself. I am getting better. We came home, washed our hands (I forgot to take hand sanitizer with us, so this was a priority), Macie got in the bath, and then went to bed. If Macie develops any sick symptoms I will blame it on the park and will have a hard time going back. I know I'm crazy, but that's the truth!

6 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm really proud of you, this was a big step in the right direction! You crack me up, but I do agree with the whole sand thing, gross.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I'm proud of you! So when she doesn't get sick maybe you'll take her again? :)

It was good to see you today. Keep me posted on Melanie and I will be sure to let you know if anything is happening on my end.

Cristin said...

Good job Trisha. For some reason I am okay with the park because it is outside which seems healthier and the rain hopefully washes the play stuff. But McDonald's Play Palace - that is a totally different story. Today as we were driving to Phoenix, we stopped there to let Luke stretch his legs and a kid on the top of the play thing spit on my sister who was standing below. Yeah, we will never be going to a Play Palace EVER again. So gross. SO SO GROSS.

anna banana said...

Actually there have been several studies that show that the more germs your child is exposed to early on the less likely they will be to get sick later in life. My friend Harley just posted a whole blog on how you should have animals so your children have better immune systems and less likely to get allergies. I say let her go more!

Tanner Family said...

Good for you! I am sure that was a big step for you but just think how happy she was to go play at the park. I won't take Jake to the play place at our gym. They say they sanitize but who knows how well or how often. Gross!

Anya said...

Trisha- what I am shocked at is that you "forgot" your hand sanitizer while taking a walk....I am not sure I even have hand sanitizer in my purse! And I saw a news story about how hand sanitizer could be harmful to children due to the alcohol content (if they lick their hands or swallow the sanitizer for some reason) which just confirmed my lack of cleanliness :) It is true- you need to get her germed-up so she can hang with all those germy kids like mine in nursery!