There's a high school just a few minutes away from my house. Yesterday a ninth grade student was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting on his way home from school. Sad to say, crime is definitely not a stranger to Las Vegas. However, I didn't think something like that would happen by my house. I guess it's kind of how no one thought all of the senseless school and university shootings across the country could happen.
When I was in 6th grade there was a drive-by shooting across the street of my school. I remember being on lock down that day. When we went home I was told to lay on the floor of the bus if bullets went flying. It's not a fun feeling to be uncertain of your safety when you're a scared, 12 year-old kid. Of course in my days at Booker, we were bused across town into the ghetto for school that year. Fortunately, they don't do that anymore.
I am so concerned about how frequently school shootings are happening nowadays. Even in a quiet part of town on a street I drive by every day an innocent kid was randomly shot. It leaves little comfort for a parent raising children in times of increasing violence. I guess that's why I feel that parenthood is such a great responsibility. It's up to parents to teach children right from wrong in a world of so much confusion. I recently read a quote from Pres. Hinckley that I found inspiring and true of teenagers today: “My heart reaches out to our youth, who in many cases must walk a very lonely road. … I hope they can share their burden with you, their fathers and mothers. I hope that you will listen, that you will be patient and understanding, that you will draw them to you and comfort and sustain them in their loneliness. Pray for direction. Pray for patience. Pray for the strength to love. … Pray for understanding and kindness and, above all, for wisdom and inspiration.”
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Crime
Posted by
Trisha
at
9:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
There was also a drive-by shooting across the street from my high school when I was a teenager. It was really scary.
Then, this last week a student shot another student at a junior high school near Camarillo (Erik's hometown). It really makes me worry about raising kids and sending them off to school, but it's like you can't hide your kids forever from stuff like this.
This is something I think about every day. How scary and crazy the world will be when they are teenagers. It is scary. Luckily.....we can be the best parents we can and hopefully help them tremendously as they grow up.
I was shocked too when I heard about Palo. The sad thing is how we assume (and hope) certain areas of town are safe, when in harsh reality, nowhere is. We just have to teach our own kids and hope they influence others.
Amen to the Hinckley quote!
I remember the drive by! And I saw that on the news when I was in Vegas- that's crazy that it was so close to your house!!! Yikes! At least you got some ghetto skills from dodging bullets at booker!
Post a Comment