Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Transplant Update

Macie and I got home from our trip to Salt Lake and it really did a number on us. Lack of sleep plus stress got me a cold. Macie picked up the runny nose too. It has taken several nights, but Macie is finally getting back on her old schedule. The problem with being sick is I can't go back to visit my mom until I get better. Her immune system was completely wiped out so she can't be exposed to anything. Even completely healthy people have to wash their hands outside her room and then put on hand sanitizer before going in. Thankfully, everything seems to be going well so far and the doctors are pleased with her progress. They actually said they are optimistic, which was a first, and really lifted our spirits. The transplant took place on the 31st, but we really won't know anything for about another week. It takes that long for the stem cells to get into the bone marrow and then we can see if they start producing on their own and what kinds of effects it will have on the body. Right now she is dealing with the after-effects of the chemo, but she handles it well and is very positive. She is really a great example to me! It is such a stressful time just waiting and waiting. It seems like we have been waiting for a year and a half for her to get better, so we're praying that this will be the cure of it all.

Macie actually did fantastic when we were at the hospital. We went everyday and she was way better than I expected. Of course she was busy, but she didn't get into things she shouldn't and she was very entertaining for my mom. Macie likes to sing songs (more like do the actions), dance, read books, and go on walks. She waved and blew kisses to all of the nurses and other people in the hallways. She definitely had her moments, and it was hard staying on track with her naps, but overall she was very good. She even learned how to jump while we were at the hospital. My dad found an empty wing on the floor and let her run around and laugh and play. He taught her how to jump and it's really cute. She squats down then pops up on her toes, sometimes one foot completely coming off the ground. She thinks she's jumping, and gets really excited about it. I'll have to post a video; it's just too cute!

4 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I'm so glad that things are going well for your mom. She and your family continue to be in our prayers. I'm glad the doctors are optimistic.

That's great that Macie was so well behaved! I'm sure your mom really enjoys having you there along with her adorable granddaughter.

7 Baldwin's said...

That's great it's going well with your mom- and the dr's report sounded good. Let us know if there's anything we can do.

And Brock does the jumping thing all the time too. It's so cute!! You'll have to post a video!

Robin D said...

I've been thinking about you and your mom and been checking your blog often to get an update. I'm sure she was so thankful to have you there. I hope ya'll get to feeling better and your mom will be in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Trisha- I have been wanting to call you back for some time which I will soon. How this hits so close to home for me! I understand what you mean about doctors and optimism. Right now although they wan't me to do chemo and a lot of other things they still say I am uncurable and that there is a 95% chance my cancer will come back in 2-3 years.
You're such a great daughter and friend. You are amazing!