Friday, June 29, 2007

How We Met

My friend Jamie had a great idea for everyone to post stories of how they met their spouse. She plans to link them all up on her blog and I've enjoyed reading a stories from other friends so far. So, I decided to add my own. WARNING: this story is really long. I put in a lot of the detail as I remember it because I realized I have never written it down before.

In April 2003 I graduated from BYU and moved home to Vegas. While I loved my college years, I was glad to leave Provo and be back in a "normal" city. I found myself at the local singles ward, hanging out with the same old crowd that was finally starting to thin out. I had big plans for myself involving horses (show jumpers) and law school. However, I was off to a slow start seeing as how I had no summer job to occupy my time. I decided it would be worth my time to find new friends and do new things. I decided to go for all the activities, parties, dates, etc. that I was invited to so I could meet new people.

Well, I had one friend in particular who I had known all the way back from sixth grade. He was, to say the least, in his own category. He invited me to go to the lake with some friends and I really had to struggle to say yes to this one...I kept reminding myself that other people would be there too and that I loved going to the lake. I agreed.

We drove out to Lake Mead early in the morning to meet up with everyone else. That's when I met Josh. It was Josh's boat we were taking out and he was friends with my special friend too. (Ok, I'm being somewhat harsh. He is still a good friend to Josh and I.) So basically the first time we met we were in swimsuits so we can talk about that first. I thought Josh had a pretty good body. He was thin and nicely cut. He was very athletic and, of course, had a boat. I think a little bit of interest was definitely peaked. I've asked Josh what he thought about me when he met me, but of course he just says he doesn't really remember but thought I was cute. I think he secretly thought I was totally hot but is too cool to say.

Several people had bailed out on the lake trip last minute, so there were just 5 of us total. It was pretty fun and I got to show off my sweet wakeboarding skills. (I could stay in the wake and go straight for a long time.) There was one other girl with us who was a friend of Josh's from highschool and I could tell that she liked him. Josh claims that it isn't true, but girls can tell when other girls are into someone. Josh played the part of "I have friends that are girls and I take them on dates, but I can't decide who I like the most and want to be my girlfriend." I think I was intrigued and wanted a chance because I could make him pick me.

Moving on, Josh and I were in different singles wards so we didn't really see each other after that. I had a friend that was new to Vegas and didn't know many people so I went with him to his ward. It was Josh's ward and I saw him again that day. Josh and a friend came up to me after sacrament meeting and said they tried to call me to go to the lake with them again but they didn't have the last digit to my phone number. Ummm, that's kind of strange but I bought it and gave them my number again.

I had mentioned to Josh that I was training my aunt's horse for the summer and he told me he liked riding. We ended up going out to ride the horse and had a lot of fun. I'm sure I impressed him with my horse-riding abilities, but once again Josh claims not to remember what he thought about it/me. I was sure at this point that Josh was interested, but he was very hard to read so I wasn't quite sure what to think.

Josh later had a party at his house that I wanted to go to because I was still interested in Josh and trying to decide if he was worth pursuing or not. I dragged my friend Lindsey P with me to his house where I later thought I might not have a chance with this guy after all. He was in the hot tub with about 5 other girls. They were all his "friends." Right.

After one other meeting to play tennis at Angel Park, I started to think he might be interested in me after all. By the time we were done playing tennis the sprinklers were on and we ran around playing in them. I know, that sounds really dumb. But Josh was finally being flirty with me so I liked the attention.

Josh called me up for another lake trip in August. At this time we were both a little interested, but I knew he was going out with other girls too so I wasn't very confident if he liked me or not. That ended up being the dreadful day where I sat on the boat watching Josh show off on the water skiis. He took a huge jump and caught the edge of one ski when he landed. His leg flew out to the side and he was down. Josh dislocated his hip. It was hard watching him yell in pain as they pulled him onto the boat and held his leg up in a twisted position while we slowly headed back for the dock. The ambulance was waiting, and off went Josh to St. Rose Hospital. After loading up the boat we all headed down to the hospital to see how he was. We were in the waiting room with his mom when we heard that he hadn't broken any bones and that his hip was finally set while his dad held him down and another doctor pushed it back in. Poor Josh!

I was so distraught because I felt so bad for poor little Josh. Well, as it turns out Josh had a date lined up for that night and didn't want to cancel it, so he went out anyway with his brother as the chauffer and Josh in a giant soft leg cast. I didn't know about it at the time. I made Josh cookies and took them over the next day to see how he was. If you know Josh, you know he doesn't like to sit still. He had to quit his job at the golf course and got really bored. I wasn't working at the time either, so we ended up hanging out every day. He couldn't drive so I always had to pick him up or his brother would drop him off. All we did was hang out at each other's houses since it was such a hassle for Josh to go anywhere. Soon flirting turned physical and yes, we finally held hands. One night when cuddling Josh told me I was probably wondering why he hadn't kissed me yet. He informed me that he wasn't going to kiss me because in a couple weeks he was going back to school and he didn't want to kiss anyone unless it was going to be serious. I was a little crushed but knew he was right. We didn't have time to get serious.

A few nights later we were on Josh's trampoline star-gazing. Josh was unusually quiet so I thought he was going to tell me we shouldn't hang out anymore since he was going back to school. Instead he told me he wanted to kiss me but was scared. I guess I was just too irresistable folks! That was our first kiss. About a week later I drove Josh up to Provo for fall semester. During the car ride I waited for him to bring up our situation and tell me that it would be over. Instead, he told me he wanted to be exclusive and try a long-distance relationship. I was shocked , but excited. We took turns visiting each other on the weekends and were engaged a few weeks later, married on November 22, 2003.


This picture is from a BBQ the weekend I drove Josh back up to school. He was still on crutches but didn't want them in the picture.




This is my favorite picture from our wedding. I loved the photography style.


I can't believe we're getting close to 4 years!!! I still feel like I'm 22 and got married yesterday.

11 comments:

LeMira said...

I think I remember you telling this story to me, and I loved hearing it again.

Cristin said...

First of all, you should be totally embarassed for graduating from college before you got married! SO OLD. And wow, Josh is the man - 5 girls in the hot tub!

Erik said...

Wow,
You know How I know that we are Friends....I read your whole FREAKIN Post :o). I miss you guys, we really need to do a something together soon.
A few comments about your story, maybe it was meant to be that Josh busted his leg, without it being busted it would have been interesting to see if you guys would have "developed".

Just the fact that Josh talked about kissing you, before actually kissing you makes me think that you were Josh's first kiss... if this is so, was he your first kiss??? Come on Trish, so Josh waited for you, did you wait for him, hmmm? I'm glad it worked out for you both. Hey we got married on 11.24 pretty close anniversaries. Macie sure looks like a cutie, Josh is going to need a shotgun to keep the boys away.

Jamie said...

I love your story! I especially love how Josh doesn't "remember" anything. The hip dislocation must have hurt so bad! So did he fake injury to get lots of attention after he was all better?

Lindsay Griffeth said...

That was fun to read about all of the details! I will never forget when you guys came to our house in Draper, engaged. You definitely did the "meet, get engaged, get married" in an extremely short amount of time but as soon as I saw you two together, it all made sense.

Loved the details about Josh. I can just see him with all the ladies & claiming to not rememember anything about you. We all know that isn't the truth!

Tanner Family said...

I have never heard that story before, so cute! I am glad you gave the details because it made it more interesting. Your wedding pictures are beautiful!

Candace said...

I remember you telling me this story, but I loving how you met stories. I love your pictures as well.

Valerie said...

I can't believe you went after a ladies' man. The story is great and made me realize that I have yet to write out our story. Maybe I'll post it soon now!

Danica said...

I can see Josh as having a lot of girl "friends." Cute story. You guys are great together. Great work, Trish, you seductress, you.

Nancy said...

Great story. I love that wedding picture as well!

Beth Davis said...

Trisha!! I'm so glad you posted that blog so I could get a little bit of an update. I really enjoyed reading how you and your husband met! I'm going to have to catch up since then too! It has been way too long. I do remember going to one of your horse shows- I hope you are still involved with that hobby!