Thursday, May 10, 2007

My Mom


I thought I'd take a moment to write a little about my Mom because today is her birthday. Happy birthday Mom!!! Since she doesn't live in Vegas anymore we didn't get to see her today, only talk on the phone. We were lucky enough to see her just last weekend when my family came to town. My mom is definitely the rock of our family. See is the best grandma ever and loves her little girls to pieces. See is happy spending all her time following Macie around and taking care of her while enjoying every minute of it. I do miss her living in Genoa now, but we are still close and talk mostly every day.

Some of you already know, but for those that don't, my mom was diagnosed with Leukemia in late November of 2005. She went through chemotherapy treatments lasting 6 months and is now in remission. Her recovery hasn't been the smoothest, and doctors kept a close eye on her. We found out recently that she has Myelodysplastic Syndrome, a nasty disease that requires a bone marrow transplant. Without it the Leukemia will most likely relapse. Without going into too much detail, they are trying to rush the transplant before the relapse occurs. She was lucky enough to have a sibling match for bone marrow, has undergone most of the testing she needs to start the process next week. It will take the entire summer and then some from start to finish. This time her treatment will be done is Salt Lake at the LDS Hospital where she will be under the care of specialized doctors and receiving the most cutting edge treatments. I will be in and out of Salt Lake during the hospital time since my dad can't be there during the week days. We're not quite sure about how it will all work out as there are still lots of unanswered questions. However, we are anxious to get the process underway and hope and pray that it will save her life and completely heal her from further ailments.

SO, before she has to undergo the long, hard process I want to wish her a happy birthday and Mother's Day! We love you!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry that your mom is needing more surgery, but glad that it is being treated soon. Good luck with all of it. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help... seeing as I am still here in Utah. Happy Birthday mama DeLaPaz!

Lindsay Griffeth said...

Your mom is amazing....what a wonderful lady. I too, am sorry to hear that she has to go in for more treatment. I would be happy to come to Utah to help with Macie if you need me to! Let me know if there is ANYTHING we can do to help. I will keep your family in our prayers! We love you guys!

Danica said...

Wow, she sounds like a great lady. I'll pray that everything goes well with her transplant and that she and your family will have comfort during this hard time!

Cristin said...

Trisha - Good luck with everything, and I pray everything goes well for your mom!

The Dan Baldwin Family said...

I am totally willing to keep Macie whenever you need while you're up here and if you don't mind sleeping on scott's crappy bed, you could crash here every so often if you needed. Let us know if we can help! Your mom's in our prayers- as are you all!

The Boz said...

Trish...my prayers will be with you and your family. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. There is some time this summer when I don't have plans and would be happy to come to your aid! Let me know. I love you and know that your Mom is a fightert...so, I have no doubt that she will do anything she can to pull through!