Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Bad Mommy Moment

I had quite the traumatic experience yesterday that should be blogged about so other mothers don't do what I did. This is a true story.

My mom is in town and we planned to go visit my sister-in-law Trish and her daughter Bella in North Las Vegas. It was kind of chaotic at my house that morning, and to make the story shorter, we ended up borrowing my brother-in-law Kip's car. We had it all planned out to pick up some lunch and head over to the Aliante park. After the 1/2 hour car ride over there, I dropped my mom off to meet Trish and pick up our lunch while I got some gas for the car. When I got to the gas station I turned off the car and got out, leaving Macie and the keys inside. After fighting with the card machine I had to go in to pay with the cashier. So, I went to open the door so I could get Macie out. That was the moment I started to panic.

Kip's car has automatic locks that turn on 30 seconds after the car is turned off, no matter what. I completely forgot about that when I got out to put the gas in. I locked Macie in the car and, of course, my cell phone. Talk about giving yourself a heart attack! I am a high-strung, overprotective mother in the first place, so this was NOT good. Lucky for me there was an off-duty motorcycle cop outside of the gas station who called in for a nearby unit. Within minutes 2 cop cars pulled up and, unfortunately, could do nothing. They radioed in for the fire department, and soon after a fire truck arrived with about 5 guys who, once again, could do nothing.

If you can imagine, by this time it was quite the spectacle. Curious bystanders were wondering what was going on...it looked like someone robbed the store or had gotten hurt. We were in North LV afterall. Anyway, I was the frantic mother trying to entertain Macie while strange people kept peeking in (the windows have extremely dark tint) to see what was going on. If I left her sight she would cry. I could tell that her head was sweaty (it was a hot day) and she was getting frustrated that I wouldn't get her out. The FD started talking about breaking a window because with a baby in there, you really can't wait too long. She was already getting hot. The cops called in locksmiths but weren't sure how long they'd take. By now about 20 minutes had gone by and I was ready to have them break the window and get her out. BUT, the locksmiths showed up in less than 3 minutes and had the door open within minutes. I pulled out my red cheeked, sweaty little girl who just wanted to hug her mommy and was very thirsty. After all the commotion things turned out ok and Macie was flirting with all of the cops and FD guys. I was so lucky that the cop was there initially, eventhough I felt bad for the big deal it caused. Everyone was so nice to me eventhough I was the stupid mom who locked my baby in the car. Come on, who does that???

9 comments:

Cristin said...

Locking Luke in the car is one of my greatest fears because it could happen so easily - I mean look at your experience! Thank goodness for that off duty cop.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I'm glad you posted this story....definitely a reminder of how easy it is to do that! Glad everything turned out OK.

Danica said...

Sad, but I locked Carson in the car last Nov (luckily it was at night and he was bundled) - it was in our own parking lot. I was in the habit of opening the back to put Carson in and tossing my keys onto the driver's seat while getting him in, then closing his door and opening the front door. This time when I tossed the keys it must have hit the lock button cause the car was locked when I tried getting in! Luckily Zack was at school studying and was able to come home to get him out...he was in there about 20 min. Scary stuff. I'm glad it all worked out for you!!!

laurel said...

Oh Trisha! I seriously have tears welling up in my eyes right now because I can't imagine how horrible that must have been. That's really scary...I am so glad everything turned out okay. I've heard of that happening to many other moms, so don't beat yourself up over it. Just a lesson learned!! Wish I could see how cute and big Macie is getting. Love ya!

Tanner Family said...

I have a fear that I would look Jake in the car. Lucky for you the police officer was right there, but still scary for you! I am glad that everything turned out okay.

Elisa said...

What a scary story, but I too was glad that you posted it b/c I sometimes throw my keys on the seat when I'm buckling the kids in. I don't have your email and I want to email you our blogspot address, we just started one up this week, so if you could email me at elisa.g.smith@gmail.com then I'll get you our blogspot address. Macie is very very cute! ~Elisa Smith

Nataliehlambert said...

My mom locked me in our car when I was about that age and do you remember Erica Clark? Yup she did it to Evelyn. It happens more than you would think. Doesn't mean you are a bad mom! Just human. I love looking at your cute little girl. She is a doll!

The Boz said...

man...as if you weren't neurotic BEFORE this incident! i can only imagine you NOW! haha! totally kidding- I'm glad everything turned out ok. i bet that was really scary.

anna banana said...

I have locked Adam in a car. Actually I didnt do it, but I was there. My brother Richard and I were driving from Provo to Vegas when Adam was a baby. We were at a gas station in Cedar and I went to the bathroom. Somehow Richard managed to lock the doors with Adam and the keys inside. It was snowing and quite cold. He was inside for probably about 15-20 minutes while we waited for a cop then a locksmith. Sometimes stuff happens! :)