Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Where Have You Been All My Life?

I recently purchased a Vita-Mix. Happy early birthday to me! I can't even begin to describe how much I love my new appliance. Let's start with this tidbit:


The results of a 2008 study at the University of Toronto clearly indicate that the Vita-Mix has the ability to disrupt plant cell wall structure and significantly reduce food particle size which may enhance the bioavailability of essential nutrients in fruits and vegetables. 

Basically, it's a great way to eat healthy and I'm all about that. My siblings will testify that I am obsessed with my Vita-Mix. I easily use it at least twice daily, sometimes up to five or six times. You may now be thinking, what in the world is she blending so often? Well, basically everything. Fruit smoothies, shakes, soups, baby food...you name it and I've tried it. I LOVE this thing. It blends almost anything into a  perfectly smooth consistency in less than a minute. I could go on and on about the features and versatility of my Vita-Mix, but I've been told that they are only exciting to me. Ha ha!

I am especially excited about the fact that I make Ty fresh baby food with a lot higher nutritional value than the jarred stuff. One look at bright green, fresh green beans next to a jar of dark greenish-looking green beans is enough for me to turn away and never go back. The taste difference is remarkable too, obviously. If you've ever sampled baby food (especially the veggies!) you know what I'm talking about. Why would I put it in my baby's mouth if it is repulsive to me? Fresh foods taste so much better. I've had people tell me that making baby food is a good idea but too time consuming. Well, my response to that is of course! Anything would be considered time consuming compared to unscrewing a lid off of a jar. 

My new-found love for blending has intensified my desire for fresh produce. I can't get my hands on enough produce! I'm having a great time experimenting and sampling foods that we didn't normally eat before, mainly larger quantities of different kinds of vegetables. Regardless, we still have a fruit smoothie daily (we started doing this months and months ago, I can't remember when) to give us a tasty dose of vitamins and antioxidants. It's no secret that diets high in fruits and vegetables are proven to reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Yes, I realize I may be a little over the top about it all, but that is just me. I love feeling healthy and my Vita-Mix is one more thing that makes my life a little easier. Just check it out and you'll know what I'm talking about.  

A young Vita-Mix fan.

My super cute smoothie helper.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have yet to taste a smoothie...stop being so selfish!

Ashley and Ivy said...

best thing ever!!!! we have 2 (=
and we use it EVERYDAY!!!
cute pictures!!!

Brittany said...

I love, love, love mine! We will have to trade ideas.

J.J. said...

So COOL! I have a Ba-Mix that does the same things....made by the Swiss.... :)
The only difference is that it is a wand blender...I can make peanut butter in seconds with fresh peanuts...and whip cream from skim milk and vanilla. I love it. (the smoothies and puree's are the best though...I use it all the time... I wonder how the two products compare. Ashlyn ate all the same foods we did and fresh veggies too...I think I bought all of two things of baby food, for when I was out of town! I think I'm going to check your new kitchen magic doo-dad out and compare them... I'm glad you are doing so well!

Katie said...

Happy Birthday Yesterday!

I got a vitamix earlier this year too and LOVE IT! We've had it for over 4 months now and have used it a few times everyday. Definitely worth the investment. the recipes in the cookbook are quite healthy too....our favorites are the spaghetti (only half the onion please and a dash of cinnamon) and the alfredo sauce (no butter, substitute soy milk and a pinch of nutmeg) Fruit smoothies with some spinach, avacado and a spoonful of spirulina with all those yummy fruits make it extra packed with nutrients. Dominic and Penny even drink them!

You can also purchase a dry blender (the vitamix comes with the wetblender) to make flours from wheat, oatmeal, flaxseed, whatever.... You can use the wet blender to do it but it doesn't get it ground as fine. Great for food storage!

Welcome to the club.....

ON another note. I can't believe how big Miss Macy is....she's so cute.

Parley and Katie Call said...

My mom and I have used them for years. Now they are all the rage, for good reason. Once you have them you can't go back. I have a smoothie with greens every morning! Then you just find more and more reasons to use them. I like finding new raw recipes. Glad you're enjoying yours. I know you like to be healthy too. :)

Happy Late B-day!