Thursday, September 13, 2007

Nursery Woes

Macie is a very good eater. She isn't one of those kids that will eat anything, but she is willing to give most things a try. I try to feed her good foods with natural ingredients and low sugar. I am actually pickier about what goes into her body than mine. I guess I know I'm not as good as I should be, but I'm trying to teach Macie how to eat healthy. She very rarely eats any treats, and when she does it's because someone else gave it to her. I can't recall her having had any candy yet, and I hope it stays that way!

Macie will be 18 months on the 20th of this month, allowing her to go to nursery on Sundays. I know most people are excited about this, but I am a little apprehensive. While visiting my parents' ward I took Macie into nursery during the last half hour of church when she was starting to get pretty restless. She was thrilled to watch other kids her size running around playing with toys. The last Sunday we were there it was snack time. Macie sat up to the table just like all the other "big kids" with a smile on her face. I gasped when I saw the leaders pull out the snacks. Each child was given a cup of kool-aid, creme-filled sandwich cookies, and cheetos puffs. WHAT?!? I didn't think it would be too polite, or Macie would be too happy, if I decided to leave right then so I observed instead. Macie stared at the food for a few seconds, because she didn't recognize it I'm sure, watched the other kids eating, then daintily took a small bite of her cookie. Her face said it all and that cookie was gone as fast as she could chew. And the leaders kept giving the kids more! Macie was the last child to leave the table because I'm sure she wasn't used to eating so much of anything so sweet and thought it was wonderful. I just could not believe the leaders were serving junk food that was so obviously bad for the kids. Why not a healthy snack or AT LEAST something with half the sugar? When I was nursery leader the kids had pretzels, cheerios, goldfish, and water. What happened to that???

10 comments:

laurel said...

Wow - cheetos and kool-aid - that's just gross. I don't get too worked up over nursery snacks because I figure, once a week, no biggie. But seriously that's just yucky!

Do you know what snacks are normally like in your ward? Maybe you can talk to the nursery leaders? In our ward, parents normally rotate bringing the snacks so the snacks are usually pretty acceptable. I always bring cheese, grapes, crackers, etc. And if the leaders provide something, it's usually pretzels or goldfish, sometimes fruit snacks. And always just water to drink.

I would just talk to your nursery about it. Try to be understanding that some of the things you might not normally give her, but put your foot down if it's just plain crap week after week!

Courtney said...

They gave the kids kool-ade? If carson was in that nursery he would have that dumped all over the place. That's just screaming stains left and right. I know when my sister was a nursery leader, she tried to bring in sting cheese or apple slices as part of the snack for the kids. I don't see anything wrong with talking to the nursery leaders. I think other parents might be happy to see that their kids aren't getting sugar highs after coming home from church.

Cristin said...

I can't believe they were giving the kids Kool-Aid!! What a mess. That's gross. I was in a ward's nursery a few weeks ago and they had string cheese, I've also seen fruit... but its usually goldfish and raisins, which are fine with me. If I were there, I would talk to either the nursery leader, or if that doesn't work, the Primary President. Maybe the Primary President doesn't even know they are serving up such garbage. CHEETOS?!?!?!?!

Robin D said...

I am truly amazed at those snacks. I'm in the primary presidency and I know our nursery leaders are not servinganything like that, especially the kool-aid or any of it! I don't blame you for being a little worried about nursery now just check yours out before Macie goes and hopefully its like most other wards with semi-healthy snacks and no cookies and cheetos.
Good luck and hopefully you can sit down and ejoy a full 2 hours of church!

LeMira said...

Sheesh, a treat every once in a while doesn't bother me, but I don't other people stuffing my kid with junk. And I know that for almost the first year Jackson was in nursery, he spilled his water all over him. I would have been upset if it were Kool-Aid. Jackson doesn't even like the stuff, and we've given it to him. Besides, you never know what allergies kids have -- best to stick to the simple, healthier stuff. And yes, you can always talk to the primary counselor in charge of nursery and voice your concerns. She is usually pretty helpful (at least that's been my experience in two different wards).

Jamie said...

They shouldn't do that. They should stick with something neutral. Geez! I wonder if that food makes the kids crazy hyper and then grumpy at home on Sunday's. hmmm.

Valerie said...

That's nasty and I hope that your ward is very different!

Candace said...

I was a nursery leader for two years and I have never given the kids kool-aid. I ever remember the last time I had Kool-aid. We would ask the parents to bring, a fruit or vegetable, and something like pretzels or goldfishes. That is too crazy. I don't even buy that kind of stuff for Tyler and I. I hope that your ward will be different.

Kimberly said...

Trisha,
It's Kim from Wymount :). I am being nosy and reading your blog.

I just wanted to say that we never have those things in our nursery. We also have the parents rotate bringing food and we sent out a list of acceptable foods and put on there "no treats" and have had great luck. Our snacks typically consist of grapes, goldfish crackers, cheese, and water.

I would check with your nursery to see what they have for snacks. Before a child enters our nursery I sit down with the parents and go over the "rules" of the nursery and then ask for any allergies, concerns, etc. If your primary presidency does this it would be a great time to discuss snacks. If they don't do this, call your nursery leader to discuss your concerns before Macie goes to nursery.

I am never offended when parents call to discuss primary issues with me. (I'm in the primary presidency and am in charge of the nursery...not just a super nosy ward member :))

Ben Arkell said...

Since I am the only man reading the blog, I feel it my duty to give my perspective. I would take cheetos and kool-aid over apples slices and water any day! I bet none of the kids complained, after all, isn't it all about the children.

Just think, one day our kids will thank us when they get to be TV stars on Biggest Loser because we fed them cheetos and cookies for snacks.