Friday, September 21, 2007

Celebrity Crap

WARNING: I am getting on my soap box now.

I think television was a great invention and serves some good purposes. But oh how I despise it! I spend most days without watching any tv, except for breakfast time when Macie and I watch The Backyardigans together. I actually really like that show. The characters use their imaginations while playing in the backyard to go on different adventures and learn all sorts of things. Macie loves all the music and has picked up on their great dance moves. I really like this show.

Now let's talk about why I despise the television. I HATE turning it on only to see scantily clad women, profanity, extreme violence, and celebrity crap among other things. How did all this bad stuff end up on even the basic television channels??? My friends LeMira and Elisa both recently brought up Laura Ingrahm's interview on the Today Show regarding the prevalence of pornography in the media. I totally agree with her regarding this issue.

Not to re-post what has already been said about this issue, but instead I do want to go further and add my thoughts. I can't stand how much time is spent on celebrity "issues." WHO THE HECK CARES?!? I sure don't. I don't want to know who is dating who, cheating on whoever, in or out of rehab, pregnant, getting too fat or too skinny, blah blah blah. And the worst part is that these issues are actually discussed on news channels. It makes me very angry. I think time is precious and I don't want to waste it watching garbage that doesn't matter. When I sit down to catch a top news story or flip through the channels (which is rare as it is!) I most definitely do not want to see anything about celebrities. Living in Vegas makes it really hard to avoid. I turn on the radio in the car only to hear dj's talking about who was at what party at what casino and what happened and blah blah blah. Get over it!!! What makes their lives so fascinating that it cripples our society? I do mean that by the way. Whatever a celebrity is doing, wearing, going, buying, etc. becomes popular for everyone else. How can that be? I really, really, REALLY don't want to see Macie (or any other young child) 10 years down the road watching these things and thinking that they are even remotely acceptable. Can you tell I have strong feelings about this? I think I just might.

4 comments:

Beth Davis said...

Ok, I need to let my husband know that I'm not the only one who seems to have big problems with this. He agrees with me but I go off about it almost everyday! I seriously can't believe the stuff they show on the basic TV channels. I used to be so immune to it, but ever since I've been married and especially now that I'm expecting a little boy- I FREAK out and I'm glad I do. We do have a responsibility to keep it out of our homes. As you can tell I feel strongly about this as well and I won't go on and on- but THANK YOU!!!

Elisa said...

I wish that people, who say that they don't like Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan or whoever else, would stop searching their names on the internet, don't let their websites get hit by you, and don't buy there silly People magazines, and don't watch or listen to their news, because even if you say you don't like someone or something but your curiousity gets the best of you then you're giving them your vote which says whatever they are doing in their lives is news worthy and you WILL stay tuned to find out what's going on.

Baldwin Fam said...

Diddo. It's all a bunch of crap and way too much time is dedicated to such nonsense. That's why we need playdates to avoid tuning into that junk.:) Hum...this week Tuesday or Thursday actually aren't good. Are you busy Friday?

Greg said...

Ever since I stopped watching TV, I have been reading blogs to pass the time. Then I came to your blog and it uses the "C-r-a-p" word. Your blog has been banned from our home.