I talk to my dad about once a week. However, I don't get to call him whenever I want or have the chance to see him every now and then like most other people can with their parents. When we talk it is via skype, contingent on my dad's choppy internet connection in Iraq. It is better than nothing; we are very grateful to see him at all.
My dad recently sent pictures and I chose two to post. It is so peculiar to see him in a country so different and isolated while we enjoy our lavish homes with flushing toilets and air conditioning. It's unimaginable to me that for many people, this is normal life. Not only that, but it also very sad. The horrible things that we hear about happening over there (and we still don't even get many details) make me so grateful that I was born in America. It is a true luxury that is easy to take for granted.
On Memorial Day amidst the BBQs and pool parties, take a second to reflect on the people that gave their lives so we can enjoy ours as free people.

Waiting for his ride.

This is where he lives. The far door on the right. Surrounded by concrete barriers. Looks fun, huh?
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Thanks Dad
Posted by
Trisha
at
9:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Thanks for this post. I hope your dad will continue to be safe and sound. I wish our servicemen got more credit, I know they do get some but it's easy to forget. OUr bishop gave us similar counsel on Sunday, to remember why we celebrate. (in the midst of all the parties and bbq's) :)
Post a Comment