Monday, October 13, 2008

Yes, We Are Alive!

I'm finally making some time to update my blog since it's been over a month. My baby Ty is 5 weeks old and let me tell you, it has been a long 5 weeks. Sometimes I can't believe how big he is already, and then remember how long ago it seems that I only had one child. I'll do a quick re-cap on the past few weeks.


Week 1:
My mom was here. Life was easy.


Week 2:
I realized my new baby is very different from my first baby. Ty spent a lot of time awake for a newborn if you ask me. Every day was getting a little more difficult as I couldn't catch up on my sleep and Macie kept waking up very early. Luckily she still takes a nap, but I was lucky if I got one for more than 30 minutes. Josh usually has an 11 hour day, so I was starting to go crazy. Ty also got an eye infection.


Week 3:
The days seemed so long that I couldn't separate my dreams from reality. I was blessed with a fussy baby suffering from acid reflux. This was quite the challenge at first because I had no idea what to do about the constant spit up. I am a clean freak and this was SO HARD. There were days of crying (not just Ty either) and everyday I didn't think I could handle another day with two kids. Macie all along has been as well behaved as you can expect from a 2 1/2 year old, but combined with a needy newborn and my pathetic self it wasn't going well. Wow, I'm pretty depressing. It wasn't all bad though. Ty made up for it at nighttime and started sleeping about 6 hour stretches. Wow! I started getting some help and found that when I had visitors come over I didn't feel so alone and overwhelmed; it gave me something to look forward to. I chopped off my hair for easier maintenance and I love it. I also got some new cute clothes that would fit me while I got rid of the baby weight. Helping myself look better made me feel better.


Week 4:
By the end of the week we were back on an uphill. We had some newborn portraits taken of Ty that turned out great, I'll have to post some when I get them. We went to the pediatrician for Ty's well check and he weighed 11 pounds 3 ounces. I couldn't believe it considering the reflux problem. We had a great conversation with the pediatrician and got some good ideas about dealing with the reflux. They seemed to work well and he has definitely improved. I think weeks 2-4 were the longest ever, but now life is livable again.


Week 5:
My little newborn is turning into more of a baby now. He is getting little creases and fat rolls on his thighs and arms. And get ready for this...Ty slept 9 hours straight last night. I can't believe it! I am very impressed. The fussiness has also gotten better, although we do have some good days and some bad days. For the most part we are all happy and doing well. I still don't leave the house hardly at all with Ty because I have germ anxiety issues. I'm seriously wondering if I might suffer from a few phobias, but we're not getting into that. I think I easily have about 10 bottles of hand sanitizer right now. Needless to say, we're all healthy.


I know I made things sound pretty rough, but they actually were for a couple weeks and since I'm over it I'm OK with admitting it. I thought that the 2nd time around with a newborn was going to be easy because Macie was relatively easy and I didn't even know what I was doing. Now that I knew how to handle things it would be great, right? WRONG! I failed to realize that when I had Macie I could sleep until 11 am if that's what she was doing. I could sit in my chair and rock her for a couple hours if I wanted to. All I had to worry about was one person besides myself during the daytime. Josh was home a lot more. Well having two is much harder than it seemed for me, so I have to tip my hat to all mothers of multiple children. It took me a little longer to get a handle on things and I think my personal anxieties are worsening as I get older. However, I absolutely LOVE my little Ty and feel so lucky that he's part of our family. It's already easy to get a smile out of him and a little cooing; it's the most adorable thing ever. Josh and Macie have been so great this past month as we've all adjusted and enjoyed life as a family of four. We have been up to other things besides Ty, so hopefully I'll get some more posted soon.

9 comments:

Robin D said...

I know how tough it is adjusting to that second baby! But Ty is so cute and Macie is just adorable! Glad to hear he's at least sleeping through the night!

Cristin said...

Those pictures are darling and I can't believe how well Ty is sleeping already.

2 kids is definitely difficult, I agree. I have gone through many "roller coasters" since our 2nd was born. Things are good and then the next week they are really bad and I cry, wishing everything would just be better. I've kind of had to accept that life will just be crazy right now. The house won't be as clean as I would like. I can't rock Charlie for hours like I did with Luke. I can't take naps during the day like I would like.

Good luck, it's quite the adventure though, isn't it?

The Tregeagles said...

Hang in there, you're doing a great job. He's totally adorable! I'm sure you're managing better than a lot of moms.

Brittany said...

9 hours of sleep, Thats amazing! I am glad to hear things are going better. It must be hard with Josh's busy school life! I would love to come see you guys sometime!!!

anna banana said...

Ty is adorable, Im sorry to hear you have had a hard time. Your haircut is so cute! Love it!

Britney said...

Ty is so adorable! I had a REALLY hard time adjusting to the second baby, so I know how you feel. It is SO HARD! How come nobody told us that two would be so difficult? Anyway, it sounds like you guys are doing much better. How is Macey dealing with having a new brother? Dylan hated me for a while which made it extremely hard. He was so mad at me for having the baby and he resented Sydney. I don't think there was a day during those first 2 months where I didn't cry.

I love your hair! And congrats on him sleeping so much. Woohoo!

Monica said...

Oh man, I can totally relate to how hard it is adjusting to 2 kids. It is SO HARD! I feel for you. My 2nd baby had colic & horrible acid reflux for 6 months and seriously, I about had a nervous breakdown! But, I have to say that I kept hearing people say that if you make it through the first few months it gets easier and I didn't believe them.

But, now I can honestly say that having 2 kids is easier than 1 ever was. I love it. It is so fun watching them play together and entertain each other. Hopefully you will feel the same way soon.

Hang in there! You look great by the way.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

9 HOURS!?! Holy cow.

I'm glad you made it through the rough part. I'm happy to come help and visit ANY TIME so just let me know when you're ready for a visitor!

He's adorable, by the way.

Baldwin Fam said...

Ty is such a cute little man! I'm glad things are getting easier to handle for ya. It's definitely a life changer throwing another one into the mix. :)