Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Fond Farewell

Papi and Ty


I have a great dad. He has taught me so many things and always been a positive influence in my life. Friday was a bittersweet day for my family. Lt. Col. De La Paz got on a plane and flew to Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas to undergo special training before heading to Iraq for a year.

The military has always been a big part of my dad's life. He joined the National Guard when I was only a few years old. His deployment is a choice that we all, as a family, completely support. He is excited to serve our country overseas and continue to make a difference in people's lives around the world. I am proud to be his daughter.

I learned first hand about generosity and being a good person from my dad. He has sacrificed his time for over 20 years as a patriotic member of the Armed Forces. I am proud of the person he is, and his desire to make a positive impact in the lives of others. I think being part of the military speaks volumes for someone who stands by his convictions and wants to give back to a country that has given him so much.

We will miss him tremendously, and the few days he has been gone already seem to drag by. Macie told me that she is 4 now, so Papi can come home. She is so sweet. Too bad she's still 3. Luckily he will (most likely) spend a few days with us in December when he finishes his training, before leaving for Iraq. Thank you Dad for all that you do. You are admirable in every respect. God be with you.

4 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

i've always loved your dad, too and I admire his dedication to our country. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers, Trish!

Alli Waldron said...

You do have an amazing dad! We will most definitely keep him in our prayers.

Darci said...

We were so happy and grateful that you dad was able to be the one to swear Dan in last weekend. We were also happy that we were able to spend the time with him and the family before he headed out. He has already blessed his family and extended family by his willingness to serve his country. He is in our prayers.

Amanda said...

What? What? What? Wow! I love your dad too! He gave me my first "real" job. :) We will be sure to keep your dad and your family in our prayers! What a great man!